Thursday 16 February 2012

Basic Exponential Functions

Don't you just love it when you get a new type of function instead of choclate on valentines day? lol

A basic exponential function is an asymptotic (it never touches any axis) function where the constant "c" is brought to the power of x. EX) Y=2^x. With this function it is also important to remember: when X is negative you will get a fraction for your Y, Also there is no value of x that will give 0. Another thing to remember is when "c" is a fraction and your x is negative you will get a whole number as the negative flips the fraction.

Qualities of this type of function:
When c gets bigger, the function increases quicker.
Domain is always R
It can increase or decrease
Y intercept is always 1
And there is no zero

Well I believe that pretty much sums up the basic exponential function. Feel free to add anything I may have forgotten!

1 comment:

  1. I know right? ANYBODY can give chocolate, but I give the gift of....ok yeah you're right chocolate would have been better who am I kidding. But this is an excellent post anyway! I love the style of your blog by the way, this upper case font is very pleasing to me. My favourite line: the first one. One small adjustment: "It never touches any axis" - well actually it does touch the y-axis, as you said it has a y-int of 1. So here is the adjustment: asymptotic = it has at least one axis that it never touches, but gets closer and closer to. Thanks for posting, great job!

    ReplyDelete